Containing 25 of the most loved classic hymns which sound beautiful when played on the whistle, this book is a resource for anyone who wants to play traditional hymns on the pennywhistle, or and other instrument typically used in Irish traditional music.
The book is divided into two sections, providing excellent advice about playing the whistle in church, and detailed information about the hymns.
The introductionThe introduction includes information about the selection of hymns, and the difference between hymn-words, hymn-tunes and combining these into settings or arrangements.
It also has hints about techniques for playing the tinwhistle in church-services, including choosing appropriate keys and planning introductions, endings, and accompaniment approaches.
Lastly there is a list of seasons and events in the Christian calendar, and suggested hymns from the book for each one.
The hymnsThis main section of the book contains 25 hymns, carefully chosen because they sound good played on the whistle, arranged and presented in a key which is easily played on the standard D whistle: usually D, Bm, G or Em.
The hymns have been selected so there is at least one (and usually two or three)for each season in the church year (Advent, Christmas, Lent, Easter and Pentecost), as well as a range of ceremonies (eg baptism, reconciliation, weddings, funerals).
Every tune is in the public domain - so it can be played anywhere, at any time, and no performance licensing is required. By buying this book, you get permission to use the arrangements given here in the same way.
What's included for each hymn:
- The basic melody of the hymn-tune, written in standard musical notation and laid out so that the structure of the tune is obvious - to make it easy for less-experienced musicians to use.
- The same melody presented in well-formatted ABC notation, for people who don't read music.
- The words of at least one verse (usually the first) laid out in-line in the music - and the complete words for the whole hymn shown separately.
- Relatively simple chords for a guitar or other backing instrumental arrangement – so that other people in your ensemble can join in easily.
- Background information about the hymn and the tune - and other hymns which the same tune can be used to play.
Hymns in Volume 1
- Abide With Me
- All Creatures of our God and King
- Be Thou my Vision
- Come Ye Sinners Poor and Needy
- For the Beauty of the Earth
- God of Mercy and Compassion
- Holy God we Praise Thy Name
- I Cannot Tell
- I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say
- Infant Holy
- Lead us Heavenly Father Lead Us
- Nearer my God to Thee
- Now Thank we all Our God
- O Breathe on Me O Breath of God
- O Come all Ye Faithful
- O Come Divine Messiah
- O Come O Come Emmanuel
- O Worship the King
- Silent Night
- Spirit Seeking Light and Beauty
- The Lord’s my Shepherd
- There's a Wideness in God's Mercy
- To Do Your Will
- Unto us a Boy is Born
- What Wondrous Love
Hymn-tunes in Volume 1
- ADESTE FIDELES
- AU SANG QU'UN DIEU
- BEACH SPRING
- DOMHNACH TRIONOIDE
- GROSSER GOTT
- IN BABILONE
- LASST UNS ERFREUEN
- LONDONDERRY AIRE
- NAN DANKET
- O WALY WALY
- PUER NOBIS
- ST COLOMBA
- STILLE NACHT
- VENEZ DIVIN MESSIE
- VENI EMMANUEL
- W ZLOBIE LEZY
- WONDROUS LOVE